Finance Blog

Stay financially savvy with the Equifax Advisor.

Sign up for our FREE Monthly Email Newsletter


Thank you for signing up for the FREE Equifax monthly newsletter

In addition to keeping in the financial know, you may be interested in checking your credit score and report.

Understand your credit. Help protect your identity.

Equifax Complete™ Premier Plan

  • Know What May Influence Your Credit Score and Be Alerted of Changes
    Credit score monitoring with custom alerts
    Important Disclosure: The Equifax credit score and 3-Bureau credit scores are based on an Equifax credit score model and are not the same scores used by 3rd parties to assess your creditworthiness.¹
  • Help Protect Your Identity
    Automatic fraud alerts encourages lenders to take extra steps to verify your identity²
  • Lock Your Credit
    The ability to lock and unlock your Equifax Credit Report³
Save 75% your first 30 days with the purchase of Equifax Complete™ Premier

$4.95 for the first 30 days, then $19.95 per month thereafter. You may cancel at any time; however, we do not provide partial month refunds.4

¹The credit scores provided under the offers described here use the Equifax Credit Score, which is a proprietary credit model developed by Equifax. The Equifax Credit Score and 3-Bureau scores are each based on the Equifax Credit Score model, but calculated using the information in your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files. The Equifax Credit Score is intended for your own educational use. It is also commercially available to third parties along with numerous other credit scores and models in the marketplace. Please keep in mind third parties are likely to use a different score when evaluating your creditworthiness. Also, third parties will take into consideration items other than your credit score or information found in your credit file, such as your income.

²The Automatic Fraud Alert feature is made available to consumers by Equifax Information Services LLC and fulfilled on its behalf by Equifax Consumer Services LLC.

³Equifax Credit Report Control™ is only available while you have a current subscription to Equifax Complete Premier. Locking your credit file with Equifax Credit Report Control will prevent access to your Equifax credit file by certain third parties, such as credit grantors or other companies and agencies. Credit Report Control will not prevent access to your credit file at any other credit reporting agency, and will not prevent access to your Equifax credit file by companies like Equifax Personal Solutions which provide you with access to your credit report or credit score or monitor your credit file; Federal, state and local government agencies; companies reviewing your application for employment; companies that have a current account or relationship with you, and collection agencies acting on behalf of those whom you owe; for fraud detection and prevention purposes; and companies that wish to make pre-approved offers of credit or insurance to you. To opt out of such pre-approved offers, visit www.optoutprescreen.com/.

4We will require you to provide your payment information when you sign up and we will immediately charge your card $4.95. After that, we will charge the card $19.95 for each month you continue your subscription. You may cancel at any time; however, we do not provide partial month refunds.

Equifax® is a registered trademark and Equifax Complete™ Premier is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. © 2014, Equifax Inc., Atlanta, Georgia. All rights reserved.

Child Identity Theft and Tax Fraud: What You Need to Know

Written by Eve Becker on April 18, 2012 in Credit  |   127 comments

How can child identity theft involve tax fraud? Identity theft occurs when someone, without your permission, uses your or your child’s personal information such as name, Social Security number, or other identifier to commit fraud or other crimes. Identity theft, and child identity theft in…

How can child identity theft involve tax fraud?

Identity theft occurs when someone, without your permission, uses your or your child’s personal information such as name, Social Security number, or other identifier to commit fraud or other crimes.

Identity theft, and child identity theft in particular, can cause a host of problems in the credit and financial worlds. One growing concern is government document fraud, including tax fraud.

A thief can take a stolen Social Security number and create a fraudulent tax return with a false employer and income. A thief can also use stolen Social Security numbers to falsely claim children as dependents on his or her own tax return in attempt to get the Earned Income Tax Credit or other credits.

Identity thieves often attempt to submit a fraudulent tax refund early in the filing season. Once the thief receives the refund check, he or she can quickly turn it into cash at a check-cashing store. When the identity theft victim goes to file taxes, the IRS assumes that the taxes were already filed and that the victim has already received both the tax credits and refund.

A thief can even look up the names and Social Security numbers of recently deceased children in the Social Security Death Master File. The thief then can claim those children as dependents on his or her fraudulent tax returns. When the parent files a tax return claiming the child as a dependent in the year that the child died, he or she is unable to do so, piling injustice on top of grief.

Uncovering tax-related identity theft

You usually won’t even realize you are victim of tax-related identity theft until you get a notice from the IRS. That notice might tell you that someone has already filed using your, or your child’s, Social Security number.

The IRS also might say that:

  • More than one tax return was filed in your name.
  • Your children were already claimed as dependents on a different tax return.
  • You have a balance due or a refund offset, or you have had collection actions taken against you for a year in which you did not file a tax return.
  • You received wages from an employer for which you have not worked.

How to respond to tax identity theft

If you receive a notice from the IRS, open it and respond immediately to the name, address, or phone number on the notice. Often, people see a letter from the IRS and get nervous about it, so they delay opening it, an IRS spokesperson says.

If you have lost personal information or had it stolen from you and you think you are at risk of identity theft, contact the IRS immediately so it can secure your tax account. Call the IRS’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit toll-free at 1-800-908-4490 or visit irs.gov/identitytheft. You will also need to fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039; follow the instructions provided on the form.

If you have an unresolved issue related to identity theft, or if you have suffered a significant hardship as a result of the administration of the tax laws, you can also contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

How can you minimize the chance of becoming an identity theft victim?

  • Don’t carry your Social Security card or any document with your Social Security number on it. Only disclose your Social Security number to a business when it is required.
  • Protect your financial information.
  • Check your credit report every 12 months.
  • Secure personal information in your home.
  • Protect your personal computers by using firewalls, installing anti-spam/virus software, updating security patches, and changing passwords for Internet accounts.
  • Don’t give personal information over the phone, through the mail, or on the Internet unless you have initiated the contact or you are sure you know with whom you are dealing.


A Chicago-based writer and editor, Eve Becker writes about personal finance, health, and other topics. She is a former managing editor of Tribune Media Services.

The information contained in this blog post is designed to generally educate and inform visitors to the Equifax Finance Blog. The blog posts do not give, and should not be assumed to provide, personalized tax, investment, real estate, legal, retirement, credit, personal financial, or other professional advice. Before making any financial decision, you should always consult with the appropriate professionals who can explain your options, rights, and legal responsibilities, and advise you on any tax, legal, credit, or business implications that may result from those decisions. The views and opinions expressed by the authors of blog posts are their own views and may not be the views or opinions of Equifax, Inc. and/or its affiliates.



    yes i would like to know how to stop my child ssi number used with out me knowing

    • EFX Moderator, EM says:

      Latonia, The best way to protect your child’s social security number is to only give it out to those who need it. If your child is the victim of identity theft, follow these tips on what to do next: http://blog.equifax.com/credit/what-to-do-if-your-child-is-a-victim-of-identity-theft/

      I hope this helps and thanks for posting.

      • Haley says:

        My ex who has nothing to do with my daughter has claimed her 2 years in a row now and has gotten away with it. He pays for nothing and does nothing. I dont see any of that money. I have filed a fraud report against him both times and nothing is being done. Hos is this fair? What can I do?

        • Dreama says:

          Same thing happened to us. You have recourse!! Contact the IRS and report the fraud. You can then file a amended return and your ex will have to pay back the money!!! It is a very simple process. Good Luck!!!

        • Sharne says:

          What you think I should do My sister claims my children and I every year and every time we run into a problem like Pseg or other financial situation she says we’ll y’all need to do what y’all have to do

    • Katherine says:


      • barbara says:

        iam going on 8 years and irs has not resolved a thing but audit me because i canot prove dependency ..i swear i cant take it anymore

        • Veve says:

          I would be on the News, crying and trying to sue the IRS if someone was claiming my child for 8 years. That’s insane.

        • Joe says:

          Did you still get your money

        • Liz says:

          On year 11 now .. started in 2005 my son is now 17 .. won’t let us get a new ssn were assigned a tax advocate .. we finally get our refund, promise were flagged .. the Kid only lives with US since he was 6 mo and the mom bailed… it’s RIDICULOUS still waiting on last year’s refund … we can’t even get help from our local congressman I’m in huntsville AL … then we don’t have the right to know who knows are kids info ! We have report cards, holiday photos,letter from pastor, bills, medical records and the actual human

      • latoya says:

        Is there anyway to get a ip pin for your children like your s dults

      • MISTY says:

        I’m also having the same problem. My aunt has been claiming my daughter for 5yrs now and this is the second time I tried and couldn’t claim my daughter. My aunt and her husband make good money and I’ve been struggling and trying to make it with my 3 children. What will happen after I report her to the IRS?

        • Unique says:

          How did they get ahold of your kids’s social security numbers? It is illegal and you will get your money back, may not be quick but it will happen. They are committing tax fraud. I dare anybody to try to file my kids, not even their dad when I’m the one taking care of them. This is why if I ask for help, I pay people back. Being as independent as you can keeps manipulating people for using ones kids for tax purposes. It makes me sick to my stomach.

    • Robert G. says:

      This is an issue that hasn’t affected my family yet, but I am worried that it will and am looking to prevent issues. The Social Security Agency lost my newborn sons Social Security Card “in the mail”. They are asking me to fill out forms for a Replacement Card, but are not acknowledging the mishandling of the card. What can I do that will help address the security of his Identity which was compromised by the negligence of the Social Security Agency?

  2. Anonymous says:

    My kids socials were used by someone on their tax return. As soon as I found out I went to the IRS and filed identity theft and turned in my return because I could not e file. The irs agent attached copies of my kids socials and birthcertificates. How long does this kind of thing take to get fixed and for me to receive my tax refund? I need the money really bad..

    • EFX Moderator, EM says:

      Oh no! It’s good that you caught it and it sounds like you have already taken the necessary steps to get it resolved. The agent at the IRS would know best the time frame for amending the tax returns, and new tax laws are creating some delays at the IRS. If you get an update from the IRS agent about the timeline, would you mind posting it here? It sounds like it’s an issue facing a few people. Thanks.

      • Mahrleen Jones says:

        How do I stop someone from filling taxes using my child social security number??? I need to use my own kids as my dependents for my taxes this year Nd I dont want the person trying to filled using them can you help give me some information on what I need to do?

  3. Jennifer says:

    Dependent fraud. .. my kids were used on someone’s tax return. How long does it take for something like this to get fixed?

    • EFX Moderator, EM says:

      Jennifer, I’m sorry to hear that. The IRS is facing delays in processing returns due to new tax forms so it’s hard to say how long it’ll take to correct the associated tax returns. Be sure to let the IRS know right away, and an agent there should give you a time frame. It sounds like a few people are facing the same issue (see above comment). If you could share with us what you learn, I’m sure other parents would appreciate it. Thanks for posting.

  4. DE says:

    the IRS sucks. They are the most incompetent government agency that exists. My daughter’s ssn was compromised in 2010; someone filed using her number. I did EVERYTHING the IRS asked. In 2011, both mine and my daughters was used. Again, did everything the IRS asked. They finally labeled my SSN as a victim of identity theft (which took roughly 11 months to do) and sent me a “special” pin to efile. Oh, but guess what? They can’t do anything to protect my daughter’s SSN because she is under 18. So by the time the IRS issued my pin and I could file, my daughter’s social was already used. In just about 3 years the IRS has done nothing to PREVENT this or try to go after who did this. I wish I could come up with more descriptive words about how much the IRS sucks and what a waste of tax payer money – but I will stick with they SUCK. I mean poor excuse for a government agency (and I work for the government).

    • me says:

      Had the same issue, someone used my son’s in 2010, we did everything they said to do, they finally issued him a pin this year, a month later they sent a letter of intent to seize property for the refund which the thief got. they are re-investigating. The person on the phone didn’t want to admit they had two tax forms and that he could see we sent in all of the proper forms. What a joke.

    • Anonymous says:

      Amen. I’m going through the same thing right now for the second year. Just got off the phone with one of their workers. I asked him how does this happen twice he told me that was a hypothetical question then hung up. Nice job.

    • Ms. K says:

      I’ve been dealing with identity theft for my child going on 5 years and IRS still allows whoever it is to use my daughters SSN. It was reported to all the proper authorities. I’ve been issued a pin etc. I cannot e-file and have to paper file every year. This year we did not get a pin and my taxes were just denied because of this. My daughter just began working and I’m affraid of how this may effect her later down the road. I do not know what more to do!

  5. ELady says:

    The same thing happened to our son. It’s been 7 years since the first incident (yes, you read this correctly – the FIRST incident), and it still continues. The IRS has a file of supporting documents from us which is probably about 2 inches thick by now, yet they still cannot figure this out. We have finally involved our state congressman, who is appalled at the incompetency of the IRS. “Me,” how did you finally get IRS to issue your son a pin – this is what we’ve been asking for years, but they won’t do it.

  6. Ellen says:

    My son died and someone stole his identity and claimed him on their return. I filed IRS Form 14039 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf . That’s the first thing you need to do immediately. Also, report to local law enforcement. However, I too – one year later am still waiting on the IRS. I have yet to talk to one competent person who even seemed to care that my son who died at age 22, had his ID stolen. Sickening.

  7. Anonymous says:

    im a victim of identity theft and I received a identity theft pin number. Does this number protect my children/dependents because the came back claimed already this year. I thought this pin covered myself and my dependents. please help!!

    • EFX Moderator_KB says:

      In addition to filling out an Identity Theft Affidavit Form 14039 and requesting an Identity Protection PIN, you should be sure to file a police report with your local authorities so you can document to both the IRS and your creditors that you and your dependents are victims of identity theft. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission’s identity theft hotline (877-438-4338), and you can request a fraud alert from one of the three credit reporting agencies. This fraud alert prevents new credit accounts from being opened without your authorization. Click hereto learn more details about how to respond to tax identity theft. I hope this helps and thanks for posting.

  8. Anonymous says:

    My son identity ssi number was stolen and used on some one else tax return and I was not able to e file how can i report that ?

    • EFX Moderator_KB says:

      Unfortunately, children are prime targets for tax fraud because they’re easy to take advantage of. If you think your child might have tax issues related to identity theft because his or her Social Security number or other personal information was stolen, let the IRS know as soon as possible. Contact the agency’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit at (800) 908-4490 and visit irs.gov/identitytheft. In addition, if the IRS sends you a notice alerting you to possible tax fraud, respond immediately to the name and number printed on the notice to set up an identity theft report. Please take a look at this blog post for more information: http://blog.equifax.com/credit/identity-thieves-use-childrens-information-to-commit-tax-fraud/

  9. Single mom says:

    So I was happy when tax season got here because I could file my taxes this year. Well I e-filed and my taxes were submitted the day the irs started accepting taxes. Only to find out they were rejected because someone claimed my daughter on their taxes. Funny thing is nobody else has the legal right to claim her but me. No body I know would even think of doing something like that to us I thought. So I started thinking and I could only think of one person who would. Which is why I stopped being friends with him. So I did some digging and found out he somehow got her info and used it on his taxes. Butthen I also found out he’s done it for 3 years now. So now I know I can send in everything by mail and I’m sure I will get the refund cuz I’ve got the proof and he doesn’t. But what concerns me is if he can’t claim her then he might try selling her infoor having someone else file with her on their taxes. I don’t understand why it isn’t automatic to put a restriction on the stolen CHILDS identity to prevent any reoccurring incidents like that from happening again. The only thing that makes me feel a tiny bit better is that I know who used my daughter’s info. I just hope he has to pay back all 3 years and he learns a lesson to not do it again for any reason.

  10. Emanuel says:

    I had a child this year but i cannot claim her because my mother claimed me. But does not support and did not have my permission to claim me, considering im over 19 and have a job,lying to the governmen and to me,what can i do so she cannot claim me anymore.Also get my tax return?

  11. Alfred John Jones says:

    If the deceased child’s birth certificate was marked with deceased that would stop people abusing the record. parent’s when they have to register their loved one deceased they should have the right to have the birth record marked.I have been campaigning for 6 years in the UK to have the records marked. Face book Stop identity theft of children’s birth certificates please take a look.

  12. D. Lindsey-Jones says:

    I have had problems with someone filing my child for the third time. The first 2 times I paper filed and sent all the info in IRS requested. Both years I was not able to get a return until October. The following year I got smart and filed my taxes on the very first day I could file. The year after that I did the same thing. Everything was cool. However, this year I had to wait until I got off the offset list to file my taxes. Low and behold, someone has beat me to the punch and filed my child again. I wanted to know how could I stop this from happening, so I called the number listed above. I was told there was nothing I could do but go through the process I’ve gone through before to amend my tax return. It’s because children are claimed as dependents and are not filing themselves. So This has to continue to happen every year? Why isnt there something that can prevent parents from having this problem year after year?

  13. tiara hudson says:

    What do I do about someone using my baby ssn without my premission on there taxes I’m in need of infromation I need help

    • EFX Moderator_KB says:

      Tiara, unfortunately your baby may have been a victim of child identity theft. Children are prime targets because they’re easy to take advantage of. You should contact the IRS as soon as possible. Contact the agency’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit at (800) 908-4490 and visit irs.gov/identitytheft. In addition, if the IRS sends you a notice alerting you to possible tax fraud, respond immediately to the name and number printed on the notice to set up an identity theft report. You can learn more here: Identity thieves use children’s information to commit tax fraud. I hope this helps and thanks for posting.

  14. Denise says:

    Someone used my identity and filed my information on their taxes,I contacted the IRS and they told me I had to go online at IRS.GOV.

  15. Leona says:

    I gave someone my daughter ss# because am not a citizen of the USA ,is there anyway i can canceled it if it already been used?

    • EFX Moderator says:

      Leona, I’m sorry to hear this happened. If you think your child might have tax issues related to identity theft because his or her Social Security number or other personal information got into the wrong hands, let the IRS know as soon as possible. Contact the agency’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490 and visit irs.gov/identitytheft. In addition, if the IRS sends you a notice alerting you to possible tax fraud, respond immediately to the name and number printed on the notice to set up an identity theft report. Please take a look at this blog post for more information: http://blog.equifax.com/credit/identity-thieves-use-childrens-information-to-commit-tax-fraud/

  16. sara says:

    My house was broken into and all of my important documents were stolen. Including everything of my son. I filled out the form 14029 and faxed to IRS. I was wondering how can I fill one for myself since the form says if filling for someone else I need a power of attorney code?

  17. Kelly says:

    My ex husband, who beat me routinely until I ran way, used my social and our three children’s socials to receive EIC benefits from the years 2002 through 2006. I just found this out. WE LIVED 1800 miles away, he waited until after the two year statute was up before filing for divorce so that I could not file for the last beating ( he broke both my arms in that one ). During the time I was gone, he got EIC for all of us, how can I get that money back. I did not file as I was on social security for leukemia, and getting nothing but social assistance. Not one penny of child support even though it was court ordered prior to the divorce.

  18. michelle k. says:

    my kids have been used by someone else on their taxes for 3 yrs. I have been calling the irs over and over again. they say they were going to send me papers but never did. they said they was going to put a block on their cards and someone still is using them. What can I do that’s money I could use and someone else is using it freely. I need help now!?!?!

  19. J Marie says:

    My son and I live in the UK for 10 years his father still lives in the US. I found out his father has been claiming him on his taxes. Does his father have the right to claim him on his taxes?

  20. Alfred John Jones says:

    The only way to stop the use of a deceased loved one’s birth certificate been used is to give the parent’s the right to have the birth record marked with deceased. You can’t get a Passport, Drivers licence, Married, with a birth record that is marked.I live in the UK my late brother’s birth certificate was used to get a passport for an act of fraud.Please take a look at my campaign on face book Stop identity theft of children’s birth certificates.

  21. Ryan says:

    Me and my ex have 50/50 joint custody and our parenting plan says i clame him every other year. This is a document through the court. My ex’s mom has claimed hom on her taxes before i could the last couple of years. What can i do about this?

  22. Chasity says:

    I recently opened up new bank accounts for me and my two daughters and hadnt taken our social security cards out of my wallet yet. Someone broke my car window and stole my purse out of my car with all three of our socials inside. How to I prevent these people from using my daughters social security numbers on their taxes? I am incredibly nervous that I will not receive my W2 before they try to use my daughters information on their own taxes. What should I do?

  23. Anonymous says:

    My aunt stole my daughter’s social security number and filed her on her tax return without my permission. What do I need to do to solve this issue?

    • EFX Moderator says:

      I’m so sorry to hear it. Let the IRS know as soon as possible. Contact the agency’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit at (800) 908-4490 and visit irs.gov/identitytheft. In addition, if the IRS sends you a notice alerting you to possible tax fraud, respond immediately to the name and number printed on the notice to set up an identity theft report. Please take a look at this blog post for more information: http://blog.equifax.com/credit/identity-thieves-use-childrens-information-to-commit-tax-fraud/

    • alfatimah b. says:

      My son was also used for 7 years now. So what I did was e-file printed it and took it to the irs building I am now waiting to receive a letter back from them and the person who used them to prove who can. And I’m trying to take it a step farther and press charges so when the court date comes up I will see who’s claiming my child

      • Raina R. says:

        Did you ever find out because I have my 5 month old and I just found out someone claimed her but it’s no one close to me her identity was stolen

  24. Annoyed says:

    Question: my bf’s children’s mother gets a check for being a “inhome care giver to her husband who is a vet. She doesn’t get texted so she can’t file. She allowed him to file last year (as we do get over 6 mos of time with the through out the year…just not all at once. We had to split the money with her. We reported to her that he got a raise so she is now taking him to court for more child support. He is not filing them this year instead using the child support as a write off. However, we know she is going to allow her mother or sister to file them and split the money! But the children do not live nor do these 2 provide for the children. How do we stop her from doing this!

  25. Breanna m. says:

    My sons farther and I are separated and I had to give him my sons social for insurance purposes. .
    If he claims my son on his taxes without me say that he can can I file fraud??
    He doesn’t ever see my son and i really need to claim him.

  26. moralesr2016 says:

    Hi I came here for a bit of help… some one is putting my daughter in their taxes n I dont know who I was wondering if anyone has by any chance a number where I can call to get help I would really appreciated.

  27. Tiffiney says:

    I know who claimed my child (x who isn’t the father & I haven’t seen him in over a year)
    Once IRS gets it figured out what action will They take? Criminal charges or just have him repay it?

  28. Anonymous says:

    Well same thing happened to my sis her kids were filed on someone returns I have never had it done to me because when I was doing my own taxes one year I had the option to red flag it online on both my kids thank god but I just told my sister not only have their numbers red flagged but also call internal revenue service tell them of it contact Irs government tell them about it fill out 14039 after downloading paper online send it back and also tell social security office too see what they can do also and I know it sounds like also but if you have all these people getting on your case to help you about the same thing that is more the greater your issue will be resolved hope I helped someone and it really sucks and God bless

  29. edica says:

    Yes that would be fraud he is not the custodial parent anymore and has not had your son for sis month’s he cannot claim him

  30. edica says:

    six I mean

  31. edica says:

    My sister’s kids have been filed by her ex for three years and but she didn’t take steps it sucks but I just gave advice for her to get I contact with Irs gov also call social security office see if you can get it flagged any kind of way or what they can do call internal revenue service see if also they can do anything fill out online download a 14039 affidavit tax fraud paper send back in I know it sounds like a lot but if you have all these. People working together on same case something is bound to be done we all know irs takes time because of all the issues they have so aint no telling when they can get to it but also I would try to go to social security office see if you can have kids ssn number changed all together you never know then that would be issue resolved God bless hope it helps someone

  32. saucecat says:

    Hi, I’m a single disabled mother and I have some questions that no one has been able to answer. My baby’s father the first year of his life 2012, claimed him on taxes and put half of the tax credit into the account he set up for “child support”, last year without my permission he also claimed the child on his taxes and even though we had a verbal agreement that he was to put half of the credit in the child’s account, 4 months after he had received his tax returns he never deposited the money. Then dah dah dah… we broke up. He since had hired a lawyer, cut off my access to the child support money account, even though I had a signed and notorized letter stating what he was supposed to be paying per month, not one about the taxes though, and it still doesn’t matter because I’ve been told that a signed notorized statement regarding our arrangements on child support is not a legal or valid document. He kicked his infant son and myself (child’s mother( out of the house and refused then and still to this day to return some of our belongings. I need to buy several items for my son because he refuses to provide things for him unless it’s in his household. I told him that If he doesn’t return the $1400 dollars from last year, although I guess I should state also from 2012, when he did deposit the money into the account and then just cut off my debit card and access to the account.. He has been lying to the courts about his income and his job is actually assisting in this lie. What I’m wondering is, last year I had a very very small taxable income like $300 worth of income I made, and from the H&R block or turbo tax whatever they said I’m not allowed to claim my son and get a credit, while I understand this since most of my income is non-taxable…. how can I ensure that being currently the sole custodian of my child, this man stealing money from his son and myself the disabled mother, he’s paid less than 50% of anything for this child so far his entire life. I told him unless he gave me the money from last year and agreed to the same split that most people negotiation co-parenting roles do… I will not grant him the permission to file his child as a dependent because as I said he does not now, nor has he ever paid 50% of his expenses. How can I stop him from claiming his son, when he has been told he does not have permission and is there any legal way I can receive this credit because I am a seriously struggling mom, and this man refuses to pay for a single thing for this child while he is in my care. Please advise and tell me at least who to contact when he does file using my son for fraud. I had offered to him last year on our agreement to sign over the rights for him to be allowed to claim our son and he no thanks.. I guess he thinks he’s above the law, and since he refuses to give me any money or honor our agreement I’d rather no one get anymoney than him get the whole tax credit, as it stands he makes over 55k, a year, lies about money for child support, refused to pay for copay,deductible, medicine for his child, I was better off when my son was on medicaid etc… I need help and every place I call trying to be proactive I fall through all the cracks. please don’t let this man get another almost $4,000 when he’s stolen over $6,000 I had saved up for my son and I to buy a house through a special low income/disabled loan program.

  33. Anonymous says:

    I work every year and file my taxes, this year I e-filed only to have it rejected claiming I’ve already claimed my taxes when in reality this is the first time I sent it in for the year. Can someone explain what’s going on?

    • EFX Moderator says:

      An identity thief could have used your Social Security number to snag your tax refund or to cause other problems with your tax return. Please take a look at this blog post for more information about what to do if you’re a victim of tax identity theft.

  34. ana says:

    I just found out that my daughters father used her on his taxes without my permission and he doesnt even have any of her information its just saved on his accpunt from when i used to be with him. What do i do abput it if i dont receive my taxes.

  35. Anonymous says:

    My neighbor had a baby last year she got her friend to claim her baby she has never worked she got like 3000 back by letting her claim her is this legal?

  36. Virginia M. says:

    I have custody of my grandson and he lives with me and someone else is claiming him how can I report this

    • EFX Moderator says:

      Virginia, If you think your grandson might have tax issues related to identity theft because his or her Social Security number or other personal information was stolen, let the IRS know as soon as possible. Contact the agency’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit at (800) 908-4490 and visit irs.gov/identitytheft. I hope this helps.

  37. Anonymous says:

    Can anyone provide information on how to find out WHO actually filed my childs ssn on their taxes without my permission. I went to file myself and was rejected due to someone else file my child on their return. I gave no one any authorization. HELP!!

  38. Anonymous says:

    My ex collects SSI/SSD and Medicare and her Mother collects a supplemental money from a widows check. I know grandparents aren’t allowed to collect taxes from their childs children. I have a feeling my ex’s cousin on the other hand may be schemeing to collect taxes of my child. How do I go about seeing if this is true and stop it if it is happening. Do I call the IRS and ask if anyone have been claiming my son, give them the social and cant they look it up and stop them ???

  39. Abigail says:

    I have a question. So my mother recently received my W-2s in the mail ( I am away at school) and has decided she is going to file my taxes although I specifically told her I DO NOT want her to file my taxes, I want my father to. I asked her to send them to my father so he can file them because he has my information and already has done so in the past. He is also the parent that claims me. She uses an accountant close to our area. What can I do?

  40. Aramis says:

    Hi, I am having the same problem as everyone else. I go to file my taxes, and they got rejected… Not to mention I filed my taxes last year and the same thing happened then I followed all the procedures and I informed IRS, but I had not received no contact back, and did not receive my refund either. And I have ALL of my proof that my children are mines I just don’t understand and now I have to jump over hurdles in order to get my money that I worked hard for I feel like a victim and my children are definitely VICTIMS. I need help but I really need to know who did this.

    • EFX Moderator says:

      Aramis, I’m very sorry to hear that happened. Start by filling out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039, immediately. Then, call the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit (1-800-908-4490). You should also ask the IRS to provide you with an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN). Use that on your federal income tax return (near the signature line on page 2 of the Form 1040) to alert the IRS that it is really you filing the income tax return. And this year, file on paper.

  41. Aramis says:

    That’s from someone who filed there taxes with one of my dependent’s.

  42. Jessica C. says:

    My kids have lived with me since the 29 of may my ex is saying I’m in trouble cause I calmed them on my taxes he had them for 5 months I’ve had them for 7 am I in the wrong. I have sole custody and paper work from dcf.

  43. Olivia says:

    I know someone who claimed someone else’s kids and did not take care of them and he’s getting back 11,000 and bragging about it what should I do leave it alone mind my business

  44. Joshua C. says:

    Why is that the irs cannot seem to stop people from using children and other people’s ssn aren’t they tired of people stealing from them it should be a requirement for people to have proof that the child has been with them for most of the year my wife and I are going threw this crap and I’m sick of it the Irs needs to get they stuff together and put an end to all this fraud

  45. T says:

    If your child is claimed on another persons taxes as a dependent, Do you put their information in the taxpayers info field of the form… or yours?

  46. Katie says:

    Okay so i want to file my own taxes but my dad wants to claim me. I just did them yesterday and im only recieving 250$. Ifbmy dad claims me on his taxes what will happen ?

  47. Stephanie H says:

    My ex husband filed our children and he was not supposed to..they dont even live in the state he is in..I and one of our sons is dusbled..divorce decree says they will continue to reside with me so that lets you know they have never lived in ky..I am in Il.,yes one of the kids receives ssi,he doesn’t have their cards..the tax people used numbers from prior tax papers..can I report him?I am coming out of disability and will be claiming my own kids

  48. H Kathryn T says:

    My daughter is 17 and her boyfriend’s mother claimed her!!!!! My husband and I went to turn our taxes in and they wouldn’t go through. My daughter knows nothing about taxes and told her that we don’t do taxes for her. Just completely unknowingly in conversation. Then the woman got her info and claimed her!!!! Now that we want to report it, my daughter is mad at us for getting her boyfriend’s mom in trouble! This woman is just really greedy and I don’t know if she is really stupid or really smart to do such a thing. She had her taxes turned in beginning of january to make sure she beat us to it. Our family is just in such disbelief and it has caused a definite wedge in our relationship with them. I am going to report her but want to wait until our taxed go through and then report her. We are just sick over this.

  49. concerned mom says:

    Someone else claimed my daughter as a dependent. It was rejected when my accounted e filed. I was a victim of identity theft when someone filed using my ssn. So now for the past to years I get a pin number. I now have to paper file because of the rejection should I use that pin # to paper file. My acct says I shouldn’t.

  50. Jess says:

    I claimed my boyfriend as a dependent, and didn’t know I couldn’t until his dad who is never around like doesn’t live with his son or take care of him.. Me and the boyfriends mom does.. Tried to claim my boyfriend. And got denied cause the kid was already claimed. Cause I claimed him. So I amended my return and took boyfriend off. Am I safe. Or am I introuble. I had no idea what was going on. In still confused. Someone please help. I have anxiety.

  51. Shannon says:

    Someone got ahold of my daughters ssn and claimed her without permission or proof. My mother in law who supported us this year and has out permission filed and was told my kid was already claimed, refund sent. How do i go about fixing this?

    • EFX Moderator says:

      I’m sorry to hear that happened, Shannon. Contact the IRS immediately so it can secure your tax account. Call the IRS’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit toll-free at 1-800-908-4490 or visit irs.gov/identitytheft. You will also need to fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039; follow the instructions provided on the form. You can also contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service. Hope this helps.

  52. Kathleen says:

    I, too, have e-filed for years without a problem. Then this year, the return was rejected because someone else claimed my son. There must be a data base, since my son’s social security number came up, that can tell me WHO did this. (In other words, the identity of the person who claimed him should come up, and I should be able to know.) Please advise. Does this also mean I cannot e-file in the future??

  53. esther b. says:

    My daughter’s dad claimed her on his taxes but she only lived with him two months out of the whole year. What phone number do I call to report him?

  54. stacey says:

    I know of a lady that hasnt worked in 6 years but files taxes every year. She also sells the other kids socials that she cant claim. How do i report her?

  55. MODESTO says:

    i need help ASAP my dad has two kids with his ex girlfriend and her real name is on their birth certificates but she is using a girls name that died years ago to claim taxes and get help from the government and now she is trying to get custody on the two kids with the dead girls name we have contacted many lawyers and spoke with police officers and even tried crime stoppers but yet no one seems to give use the advise we need to stop her . PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO OR WHOM TO CONTACT .OR ANY LITTLE ADIVE WOULD HELP.

  56. MODESTO says:


  57. Kathy says:

    While helping my 18 year old son purchase a car, we discovered all of (my ex) his father’s credit report was linked to his social security number. Showing my son, who should have “0” credit to have bad credit. How could this have happened and what can we do to correct it? They have the same first name (spelled differently) and different middle names.

  58. Fabian M. says:

    An aunt of mines stole my social security number and my sisters when we were kids never gave us a dime for 22 years now I’m 19 she’s 17 what can we do will there be money return to us or what will happen were do I start

  59. yinka says:

    Hello, I leave in Africa but my two children are US citizens. They as also leave in Africa with us. How do I prevent someone from using their SSN for tax returns

  60. Kassandra says:

    Hey I real tried of someone did was use my child’s SSN since 10 month make me piss off I know did explain to my son feel depressed no tax for my son sad since I try stop someone from filling taxes using my son’s social security number… please help for me how I tell where IRS not help for me need care of my children never give up!! And I still live with my son since that good why someone did never take taxes send me was waiting!!!!!!!!!

  61. Karen says:

    Just received a letter from the IRS recently about our adopted sons and there social security numbers where used by biological parents. We contacted IRS and they told us it’s pretty much a waiting game for the biological parents to respond to the letter they got. I just don’t understand why people do this and now causing us a problem.
    Can we get our sons social security numbers changed???

  62. Billy B. says:

    IT’S sad that the government appears to have no solutions to for child tax fraud, but prolong the legitimate guardians/parents of these children their tax returns. I think it’s a quite clear solution to this: Match each guardian/parent with their children they claim each year and if anyone else uses that child’s/children’s SSN an alert will besent to proper agencies/authorities and these crooks being denied the luxury on your dime!!!

  63. Anonymous says:

    My sister collects social security because her husband has passed away in 2005. Since then she has had numerous boyfriends and girl friends claiming her children on their taxes. This means my nieces ss#’s are being dished out to everyone willing to split the earned income credit on these kids. She continues to do this. Who should I notify and how?

  64. chyrstal says:

    What if you have full custody and you children father threatens you to file his children on his taxes and you say no, we haven’t been together in over 4years, due to a domestic relationship I was in with him. What can I do to stop his refund if he filed early, when I still have w2s form to wait on. Can I get a red flag put on my children names so he would not received my children money.

  65. CARRIE says:


  66. Anonymous says:

    I don’t file taxes or let anyone file taxes on my kids and someone filed my boys way can i do
    don’t even know who did it

  67. Anonymous says:

    So my kids been used to years back to back b4 I could file …how can I make sure they don’t get used this year

  68. Zack says:

    Well what will happen if I get my child a new social security number and the thief decides to use the old number to file will the he or she be caught then because I heard that even if you do get a new number the old number will still work is this true

  69. Anonymous says:

    Can I get my child a new social

  70. Jazmin L. says:

    Last year my mom file taxes because I didn’t had a job and she was supporting us when the tax year came she claimed my 3 daughters but one of them was already used by someone else that we don’t know how they used her social number, this year I work and goin to claim taxes but I don’t what to do fist about one of my daughter’s case?

  71. MarKetta says:

    Somebody has filed 2of my kids without my permission and I want to know who did it… Who can I contact to get answers… I’m a single mother of 5 kids I don’t work and I get ssi but somebody done filed 2 of my kids and I want to know who and some answers to how they got their son because this is ridlous ridiculous… Can somebody please help me

  72. Anonymous says:

    Can anyone help me asap , my baby’s dad’s father claimed my one year old & my two year old daughter this for him taxes and this is the third time and, my daughters Dad refuses to give me anything and I live with them. He’s a piece of crap who just steals from my kids. How can I make sure they give me money for my babies. Who can I contact to tell me how much my ex father n law is getting again for claiming my two babies. They never tell me how much he gets for my daughters.

  73. Honey_Graham says:

    I am having the same problem. My sons fater claims them on his fraudulent taxes (he has never been employed) and when he doesn’t file he allows his family members to claim them. I was told by a professional tax preparer that you can have a pin number placed on your children’s social security numbers so that once someone tries to file they would need the pin number and would be denied the ability to file with their numbers BUT every time I go onto the irs website I don’t find anything on there like that. This year is the first year I’ve been able file my kids since I finally got custody of them last year so unfortunately I’m being audited and have to verify my identity. Where can I place a pin on their socials? Or was she lying?

  74. AL says:

    My mom has been claiming my kids on her taxes while I was unemployed. And now that I have a job and take care of their financial responsibility, how do I stop my mother from claiming them next year

  75. lw says:

    what can be done if the person who stole my childs identity information and claimed her on their taxes is a tax preparer for jackson hewitt!?

  76. A henry says:

    I’m getting so tired of the IRS letting people get away if filing for kids they lost custody of.
    I have custody of my nieces for now 3 years and last year my sister used 1 of my nieces SSI for taxes.
    Mind you that year in 2014 she didn’t work. So I had to send in my legal documents showing I had custody of them in order to get my return.
    This is happening again this year the same thing.
    Now I have to prove that I’m able to claim this child.
    When her rights where and have been taken away.
    It’s so frustrating, let me tell you she has 2 other kids that she claims.
    That she has custody of, I have the other 2.

    I wish they would realize and mark there system.

  77. Anonymous says:

    Why aren’t the childrens ssi locked so no one can open credit under them. And since my childs ssi was stolen from taxes or aca, the government should clean his record and give him a new ssi. Then prosecute to the max.

  78. monika says:

    My mom filed me for income taxes and I wasn’t aware until I got a,letter in the mail. I really don’t know how to go about the situation or who to speak with. On the letter the income tax was filed when I was in high school. I was living with my dad at the time.. I’m scared and I need some answers quickly.

  79. Linda says:

    My child’s father used her on his tax return with out my permission .he is on child support but haven’t paid in a year. He’s in the areals for over 6,000 .how do I stop this.he is not on birth certificate. How did he get the#

  80. Anonymous says:

    I hope we that’s going through this get our money

  81. Anonymous says:

    someone claimed my son on their taxes this year and I know the person who did it but she had no rights too what can I do?

  82. Naomi says:

    I know my two boys fpr taxes for four years now my whole purse was stolen and how can i find out who and how to get reimbursement.we about to be homeless by the tenth of this month and thats the reason why our identiy was stolen.i wanna press charges for fraud

  83. Vanessa P. says:

    How can I report someone to the IRS for using my kid and not getting the money I was suppose to be giving in return

  84. April says:

    Can anyone help us for 2years now someone has claimed my son and the Irs has done nothing about it we reported to identity theft we don’t know this person as far as we know because they will not tell us who it is I’ve sent 4 times the proof that they are asking for and now because the Irs is allowing this person to keep illegally claim my child they say we owe over 3,000 they keep making excuses this paper didn’t have a date on it its not our fault that who ever handle our case was not reading it right because the date was on it I have copies of what I sent plus proof from post office we haven’t received any taxes and they say they already closed the case for 2014 because of the date wasn’t on the paperwork when it was who can we go to for help with this

  85. Anonymous says:

    I am a mother of a U.S child who is now 16. I applied for his SSN but return home before it came in the mail and made requests for the rative to have it sent to me. That relative has been filing for my son and will not give me his SSN how do i put a stop on it if i dont know it?

  86. Grandparent worries says:

    I would like to know how to stop a parent from claiming they kids that has lost there kids I do not file taxes because I am.disable I have had the kids for almost a year so I don’t feel it’s right for her to be able to claim them if she isn’t the one provid I ng support for them what Can I do to stop her from claiming the kids.

Leave a Comment

Name :

Commenting guidelines

We welcome your interest and participation on this forum, but be aware that comments will be published at Equifax's sole discretion. Please don't use this blog to submit questions or concerns about your Equifax credit report or raise customer service issues. Instead, you should contact Equifax directly for all such matters and any attempts to do so in this forum will be promptly re-directed.

Some other factors to consider when commenting:
  1. Registration and privacy. While no registration is required to visit our forum, participants wishing to post a message must register by creating an account. All personal information provided by forum members incident to registration is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
  2. All comments are anonymous. We'll delete your name, e-mail address, and any other identifying information, including details about your investments.
  3. We can't post or respond to every comment - As much as we'd like to, we can't post every comment, nor can we guarantee that we will respond to each individual message. All questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or similar customer service issues should be handled by contacting Equifax directly.
  4. Don't offer specific legal, tax or financial advice. All of the materials on this Site are for information, education, and noncommercial purposes only and this forum is not intended as a means of expressing views or ideas regarding any specific legal, tax, or investment advice. While offering general rules of thumb is both permitted and encouraged, recommending specific ideas or strategies regarding investments, taxes, and related matters is prohibited.
  5. Credit Repair. This blog is not intended as a venue for the discussion or exchange of ideas regarding credit repair or other strategies intended to assist visitors and community members improve or otherwise modify their credit histories, ratings or scores.
  6. Stay on topic. Your comment should be concise and pertain to the specific post in question.
  7. Be respectful of the community. The use of profanity, offensive language, spam, and personal attacks will not be tolerated and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation. We encourage disagreement and healthy debate, but please refrain from personal attacks on our WordPresss and contributors.
  8. Finally: Participation in this forum may be terminated by Equifax immediately and without notice for failure to comply with any guidelines or Terms of Use. As such, you should familiarize yourself with all pertinent requirements prior to submitting any response through the blog or otherwise. All opinions expressed in this forum are solely those of the individual submitting the comment, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Equifax maintains this interactive forum for education and information purposes in order to allow individuals to share their relevant knowledge and opinions with other members and visitors. We encourage you to participate in discussions about personal finance issues and other topics of interest to this community, but please read our commenting guidelines first. Equifax reserves the right to monitor postings to the forum and comments will be published at our discretion. Do you have questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or customer-service issues regarding an Equifax product? If so, please contact Equifax directly. All opinions and information expressed or shared in blog comments are solely those of the person submitting the comments, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Credit Archive