Finance Blog

Filing Taxes: Oops! I Made a Mistake!

Written by Eva Rosenberg on March 29, 2013 in Tax  |   2 comments

You think you made a mistake? Let me tell you about the time I made a $90,000 error. It was very embarrassing. This $90,000 was the very first entry I had made into the tax software for the client. When the return was finalized after…

filing-taxes-oops-i-made-a-mistakeYou think you made a mistake? Let me tell you about the time I made a $90,000 error. It was very embarrassing. This $90,000 was the very first entry I had made into the tax software for the client. When the return was finalized after two months of work, the $90,000 had disappeared.

It turned out that there was a major glitch in the commercial tax software I used that year (and never again). Many tax pros’ returns were afflicted with similar mistakes. I didn’t discover this error until we started putting the tax files away after tax season. Then, my heart stopped.

So, what do you do when you learn you made a mistake on your tax return?

There are different levels of errors. The simplest is an omission of a minor income amount from a 1099 of any kind. This generates additional taxes of $50 or less. Do nothing. The IRS will usually send you a letter (typically a CP-2000 notice) proposing additional taxes and a little interest, but no penalties. Pay the balance due and then file an amended return with your state for the additional income.

However, if you have made the same kind of error—an omitted 1099—but for a larger amount, or if you didn’t get a 1099 at all but you realize you omitted a big chunk of income, you may wonder if you should still wait for the IRS to notice. No. The interest will be much higher and penalties might be assessed, depending on the amount or nature of the taxes.

You will want to amend your IRS and state (if applicable) returns—but don’t rush. I have heard from people who received either original or revised 1099s late. They amended after the first one, then they had to amend again after the second, and so on. Wait a bit until you are sure that all the changes are in. Call the various investment houses or clients to make sure no more are coming.

What if the problem is not unreported income? Suppose you didn’t take advantage of expenses or deductions to which you’re entitled? Should you amend? It depends.

Yes: Amend if you have the evidence to prove that you paid those deductible expenses. If they were business or job-related, you also need to have proof that the expenses were ordinary and necessary for your business or job.

No: Don’t bother amending if the amounts are minor. Personally, for an additional refund of $100, less the costs for preparing and filing the amended return, I wouldn’t open up a hornet’s nest. Remember that even if you prepare an amended return yourself using online software, the IRS and state returns will cost you about $25 to $50, and a tax pro will rarely do it for less than $100.

No: If you don’t have all the proof and backup material to support the costs and the reason these costs are deductible, don’t amend. An amended return is handled like a mini-audit. And although the IRS is not meant to look at other parts of the return, sometimes that does happen, and it can generate a full-blown audit.

Oh yes, what happened to our $90,000 error? I immediately gave the client an amended IRS and state return. Did she file it? Honestly, I don’t know. She hasn’t spoken to me since. Can you blame her?

Eva Rosenberg, EA is the publisher of TaxMama.com , where your tax questions are answered. Eva is the author of several books and ebooks, including the new edition of Small Business Taxes Made Easy. Eva teaches a tax pro course at IRSExams.com and tax courses you might enjoy at http://www.cpelink.com/teamtaxmama.


  1. Celestine doesburgh says:

    What if I entered a deduction of $2000 by accident, which caused me to receive a larger tax return?

    • EFX Moderator, EM says:

      You might want to amend your return; it could help you avoid potential penalties. Here’s more information on amending returns. You can consult with a tax professional about your specific situation. Thanks for posting.

Leave a Comment

Name :

Commenting guidelines

We welcome your interest and participation on this forum, but be aware that comments will be published at Equifax's sole discretion. Please don't use this blog to submit questions or concerns about your Equifax credit report or raise customer service issues. Instead, you should contact Equifax directly for all such matters and any attempts to do so in this forum will be promptly re-directed.

Some other factors to consider when commenting:
  1. Registration and privacy. While no registration is required to visit our forum, participants wishing to post a message must register by creating an account. All personal information provided by forum members incident to registration is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
  2. All comments are anonymous. We'll delete your name, e-mail address, and any other identifying information, including details about your investments.
  3. We can't post or respond to every comment - As much as we'd like to, we can't post every comment, nor can we guarantee that we will respond to each individual message. All questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or similar customer service issues should be handled by contacting Equifax directly.
  4. Don't offer specific legal, tax or financial advice. All of the materials on this Site are for information, education, and noncommercial purposes only and this forum is not intended as a means of expressing views or ideas regarding any specific legal, tax, or investment advice. While offering general rules of thumb is both permitted and encouraged, recommending specific ideas or strategies regarding investments, taxes, and related matters is prohibited.
  5. Credit Repair. This blog is not intended as a venue for the discussion or exchange of ideas regarding credit repair or other strategies intended to assist visitors and community members improve or otherwise modify their credit histories, ratings or scores.
  6. Stay on topic. Your comment should be concise and pertain to the specific post in question.
  7. Be respectful of the community. The use of profanity, offensive language, spam, and personal attacks will not be tolerated and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation. We encourage disagreement and healthy debate, but please refrain from personal attacks on our WordPresss and contributors.
  8. Finally: Participation in this forum may be terminated by Equifax immediately and without notice for failure to comply with any guidelines or Terms of Use. As such, you should familiarize yourself with all pertinent requirements prior to submitting any response through the blog or otherwise. All opinions expressed in this forum are solely those of the individual submitting the comment, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Equifax maintains this interactive forum for education and information purposes in order to allow individuals to share their relevant knowledge and opinions with other members and visitors. We encourage you to participate in discussions about personal finance issues and other topics of interest to this community, but please read our commenting guidelines first. Equifax reserves the right to monitor postings to the forum and comments will be published at our discretion. Do you have questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or customer-service issues regarding an Equifax product? If so, please contact Equifax directly. All opinions and information expressed or shared in blog comments are solely those of the person submitting the comments, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Tax Archive

Stay Informed Sign up for our FREE Equifax email Newsletter