Finance Blog

Six Reasons To Amend Your Tax Return

Written by Eva Rosenberg on June 16, 2010 in Tax  |   3 comments

Have you ever made some irresistible impulse buy and had buyer’s remorse? I’ll bet there have been times you’ve felt that way after filing your tax return! The feeling gets more intense with every new tax tip article you read and every conversation you overhear…

Tax return amendments
Have you ever made some irresistible impulse buy and had buyer’s remorse? I’ll bet there have been times you’ve felt that way after filing your tax return!

The feeling gets more intense with every new tax tip article you read and every conversation you overhear in which someone brags about their big refund-which you didn’t get. Or worse, you hear someone at a ball game grousing about his audit-and you start worrying that you might be next.

Relax. There’s no need to feel distraught or uncomfortable about tax returns you have filed. Did you know you may correct (or amend) a tax return for up to three years after you have filed it? You can look for tax credits you may have missed or add in deductions you forgot.

Why You Might Re-File Your Tax Return

Here are six reasons why you might want to re-file or amend your tax returns. Use the links to get to the forms you’ll need or for additional information:

1. Foreign Tax Credit. If you have investments in mutual funds, you usually pay some foreign taxes. You can get those back as an itemized deduction either on Schedule A or on Form 1116. You’ll probably want to read IRS Publication 514.

2. Alternative minimum tax (AMT). Taxpayers who are required to pay the alternative minimum tax one year may be able to get it back in a future year. Paying AMT generates an AMT credit that gets carried forward. Use Form 8801.

3. Retirement Savers Credit. Contributions to any retirement plan-such as a work 401(k), a personal IRA, or even a Roth IRA-will count toward the Retirement Savers Credit. Use Form 8880. A Retirement Savings Contributions Credit can be worth up to $2,000 on a joint return (or $1,000 for a single taxpayer).

4. Energy Property Credit. Nonbusiness Energy Property Credits disappeared in 2008, so many people didn’t realize they were back in 2009 on Form 5695. Worth up to $1,500 per residence, you get 30 percent of the cost of insulation, roofing, and special windows. (Also on Form 5695 are the 30 percent tax credits for installing solar power, wind power, and other alternative energy equipment. I doubt you overlooked that credit!)

Remember, when the IRS offers a tax credit, it’s quite possible your state does, too. Be sure to look for the corresponding tax credit on your state’s department of revenue forms. Or call your state tax department and ask.

5. Medical expenses for seniors. Did you know that some or all of the cost of senior assisted living probably qualifies for the medical expense deduction? Most people don’t move into assisted living facilities unless they need someone to ensure they are properly medicated, don’t harm themselves, or get ambulatory assistance. As a result, their housing expenses are apt to be less rent and more care-related.

6. Medical expenses for children. A child’s special school or tutoring designed to address physical or mental disabilities or nervous disorders might qualify as a medical expense deduction. When an education facility or special tutor is prescribed for medical reasons, you may use the cost first toward the Child and Dependent Care Credit (Form 2441). What’s left over may be deducted on Schedule A.

There may be many more tax benefits you’ve overlooked. Consider having a tax professional review your last three annual tax returns. You just might get some pleasant surprises!

Eva Rosenberg, EA is the publisher of TaxMama.com, where your tax questions are answered. Eva is the author of several books and ebooks, including Small Business Taxes Made Easy. Eva teaches a tax pro course at IRSExams.com.

Read More.


  1. Scott says:

    Can your file a tax ammended tax return to exclud your spouse, and file seperatly

  2. Anonymous says:

    I have a 1049x form how do I fill it in

    • EFX Moderator, EM says:

      You could review the IRS website or talk to a tax professional. I don’t know the details of your situation so I don’t want to give you incorrect tax information. Thanks for posting.

Leave a Comment

Name :

Commenting guidelines

We welcome your interest and participation on this forum, but be aware that comments will be published at Equifax's sole discretion. Please don't use this blog to submit questions or concerns about your Equifax credit report or raise customer service issues. Instead, you should contact Equifax directly for all such matters and any attempts to do so in this forum will be promptly re-directed.

Some other factors to consider when commenting:
  1. Registration and privacy. While no registration is required to visit our forum, participants wishing to post a message must register by creating an account. All personal information provided by forum members incident to registration is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
  2. All comments are anonymous. We'll delete your name, e-mail address, and any other identifying information, including details about your investments.
  3. We can't post or respond to every comment - As much as we'd like to, we can't post every comment, nor can we guarantee that we will respond to each individual message. All questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or similar customer service issues should be handled by contacting Equifax directly.
  4. Don't offer specific legal, tax or financial advice. All of the materials on this Site are for information, education, and noncommercial purposes only and this forum is not intended as a means of expressing views or ideas regarding any specific legal, tax, or investment advice. While offering general rules of thumb is both permitted and encouraged, recommending specific ideas or strategies regarding investments, taxes, and related matters is prohibited.
  5. Credit Repair. This blog is not intended as a venue for the discussion or exchange of ideas regarding credit repair or other strategies intended to assist visitors and community members improve or otherwise modify their credit histories, ratings or scores.
  6. Stay on topic. Your comment should be concise and pertain to the specific post in question.
  7. Be respectful of the community. The use of profanity, offensive language, spam, and personal attacks will not be tolerated and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation. We encourage disagreement and healthy debate, but please refrain from personal attacks on our WordPresss and contributors.
  8. Finally: Participation in this forum may be terminated by Equifax immediately and without notice for failure to comply with any guidelines or Terms of Use. As such, you should familiarize yourself with all pertinent requirements prior to submitting any response through the blog or otherwise. All opinions expressed in this forum are solely those of the individual submitting the comment, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Equifax maintains this interactive forum for education and information purposes in order to allow individuals to share their relevant knowledge and opinions with other members and visitors. We encourage you to participate in discussions about personal finance issues and other topics of interest to this community, but please read our commenting guidelines first. Equifax reserves the right to monitor postings to the forum and comments will be published at our discretion. Do you have questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or customer-service issues regarding an Equifax product? If so, please contact Equifax directly. All opinions and information expressed or shared in blog comments are solely those of the person submitting the comments, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Tax Archive

Stay Informed Sign up for our FREE Equifax email Newsletter