Finance Blog

Tax Issues for Parents: Coordinate with Your Kids

Written by Eva Rosenberg on January 12, 2011 in Tax  |   No comments

Tax Issues for Parents: Coordinate with Your Kids A woman I know told me she tried to efile her tax return, only to have it rejected. Someone had already filed a tax return using her daughter’s Social Security number. No, it wasn’t an ex. Nor…

Tax Issues for Parents: Coordinate with Your Kids

A woman I know told me she tried to efile her tax return, only to have it rejected. Someone had already filed a tax return using her daughter’s Social Security number.

No, it wasn’t an ex. Nor was it identity theft. It was nothing bad. Her sixteen-year-old daughter was Internet savvy. Having worked during the year, Sally had received a W-2. Being responsible, she went online and used TurboTax to file her own tax return—making it impossible for her parents to file electronically.

How to File Taxes for Children and Dependents

When you are someone’s dependent, or qualify as his or her dependent, you may not claim an exemption for yourself on your own tax return. Naturally, someone without experience would not know this. (See the IRS test for dependent exemptions.)

This is a common problem for families with children working while at college, or when one or both newlyweds still qualify as dependents. Avoid this problem by discussing tax issues with your children. Ensure the exemption for each person appears on only one tax return—either the parent’s or the child’s.

Sometimes this results in higher income taxes for your child. If this is not offset by the savings on your return, perhaps you can remove the child as a dependent.

Divorce and Claiming Exemptions

We could spend hours discussing the “who gets the dependent” issue when it comes to divorced couples. But not today. Today, there is just one thing I want you to do.

Even if your divorce decree says you get to claim your child as a dependent, have your ex sign a Form 8332 for each year that you expect to claim your child. The IRS now requires Form 8332 in the event of a dispute. The Tax Court has agreed with the IRS.

Withholding Investment Income

You may have heard the term “kiddie tax” being bandied about. This means that when your child’s investment income exceeds $1,900, it might be taxed at your highest tax rate. This applies to children under age 19 (or, if they are full-time students, under age 24).

Investment income refers only to interest and dividends and related capital gains distributions—including the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends. It doesn’t mean wages, self-employment income, or even partnership income.

There are two ways to report your child’s income:

  1. On the child’s tax return, using Form 8615.
  2. On your return, using Form 8814.

One advantage to including the income on your return is that you don’t have to file tax returns for each child.

The problem is that if your income is low, you could lose your earned income credit. Or when your income is close to certain limits, you could lose the right to contribute to a deductible IRA, reduce your medical and employee business expense deductions—or perhaps even cause phaseouts of exemptions or credits.

In that case, report your child’s income on his or her own tax return. After all, with the help of generous grandparents, or savings accounts, or funds received after accidents, your child might be wealthier than you are. You may not be entitled to tap into those funds, but someone still needs to pay taxes on your child’s income.

Stay tuned to this column during tax season. We’ll be going into more detail about divorce issues, how children affect your taxes—and lots more fun things.

Eva Rosenberg, EA is the publisher of TaxMama.com, where your tax questions are answered. Eva is the author of several books and ebooks, including Small Business Taxes Made Easy. Eva teaches a tax pro course at IRSExams.com.

Read More:
Tax Schemes and Tax Turkeys: Stay Away from Too-Good-to-Be-True Tax Advice
Winner! Winner! Winner!: Tax Implications of Winning Lotteries and Game Show Prizes
New Tax Laws for 2011
Open-Enrollment and FSAs: A Bonanza of Tax Advantages

No comments yet

Leave a Comment

Name :

Commenting guidelines

We welcome your interest and participation on this forum, but be aware that comments will be published at Equifax's sole discretion. Please don't use this blog to submit questions or concerns about your Equifax credit report or raise customer service issues. Instead, you should contact Equifax directly for all such matters and any attempts to do so in this forum will be promptly re-directed.

Some other factors to consider when commenting:
  1. Registration and privacy. While no registration is required to visit our forum, participants wishing to post a message must register by creating an account. All personal information provided by forum members incident to registration is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
  2. All comments are anonymous. We'll delete your name, e-mail address, and any other identifying information, including details about your investments.
  3. We can't post or respond to every comment - As much as we'd like to, we can't post every comment, nor can we guarantee that we will respond to each individual message. All questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or similar customer service issues should be handled by contacting Equifax directly.
  4. Don't offer specific legal, tax or financial advice. All of the materials on this Site are for information, education, and noncommercial purposes only and this forum is not intended as a means of expressing views or ideas regarding any specific legal, tax, or investment advice. While offering general rules of thumb is both permitted and encouraged, recommending specific ideas or strategies regarding investments, taxes, and related matters is prohibited.
  5. Credit Repair. This blog is not intended as a venue for the discussion or exchange of ideas regarding credit repair or other strategies intended to assist visitors and community members improve or otherwise modify their credit histories, ratings or scores.
  6. Stay on topic. Your comment should be concise and pertain to the specific post in question.
  7. Be respectful of the community. The use of profanity, offensive language, spam, and personal attacks will not be tolerated and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation. We encourage disagreement and healthy debate, but please refrain from personal attacks on our WordPresss and contributors.
  8. Finally: Participation in this forum may be terminated by Equifax immediately and without notice for failure to comply with any guidelines or Terms of Use. As such, you should familiarize yourself with all pertinent requirements prior to submitting any response through the blog or otherwise. All opinions expressed in this forum are solely those of the individual submitting the comment, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Equifax maintains this interactive forum for education and information purposes in order to allow individuals to share their relevant knowledge and opinions with other members and visitors. We encourage you to participate in discussions about personal finance issues and other topics of interest to this community, but please read our commenting guidelines first. Equifax reserves the right to monitor postings to the forum and comments will be published at our discretion. Do you have questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or customer-service issues regarding an Equifax product? If so, please contact Equifax directly. All opinions and information expressed or shared in blog comments are solely those of the person submitting the comments, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Tax Archive

Stay Informed Sign up for our FREE Equifax email Newsletter