Tax Mistakes: What To Do When Your 1099 or W-2 is Wrong Tax Mistakes: What To Do When Your 1099 or W-2 is Wrong | Equifax Finance Blog

Finance Blog

Stay financially savvy with the Equifax Advisor.

Sign up for our FREE Monthly Email Newsletter


Thank you for signing up for the FREE Equifax monthly newsletter

In addition to keeping in the financial know, you may be interested in checking your credit score and report.

Understand your credit. Help protect your identity.

Equifax Complete™ Premier Plan

  • Know What May Influence Your Credit Score and Be Alerted of Changes
    Credit score monitoring with custom alerts
    Important Disclosure: The Equifax credit score and 3-Bureau credit scores are based on an Equifax credit score model and are not the same scores used by 3rd parties to assess your creditworthiness.¹
  • Help Protect Your Identity
    Automatic fraud alerts encourages lenders to take extra steps to verify your identity²
  • Lock Your Credit
    The ability to lock and unlock your Equifax Credit Report³
Save 75% your first 30 days with the purchase of Equifax Complete™ Premier

$4.95 for the first 30 days, then $19.95 per month thereafter. You may cancel at any time; however, we do not provide partial month refunds.4

¹The credit scores provided under the offers described here use the Equifax Credit Score, which is a proprietary credit model developed by Equifax. The Equifax Credit Score and 3-Bureau scores are each based on the Equifax Credit Score model, but calculated using the information in your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files. The Equifax Credit Score is intended for your own educational use. It is also commercially available to third parties along with numerous other credit scores and models in the marketplace. Please keep in mind third parties are likely to use a different score when evaluating your creditworthiness. Also, third parties will take into consideration items other than your credit score or information found in your credit file, such as your income.

²The Automatic Fraud Alert feature is made available to consumers by Equifax Information Services LLC and fulfilled on its behalf by Equifax Consumer Services LLC.

³Equifax Credit Report Control™ is only available while you have a current subscription to Equifax Complete Premier. Locking your credit file with Equifax Credit Report Control will prevent access to your Equifax credit file by certain third parties, such as credit grantors or other companies and agencies. Credit Report Control will not prevent access to your credit file at any other credit reporting agency, and will not prevent access to your Equifax credit file by companies like Equifax Personal Solutions which provide you with access to your credit report or credit score or monitor your credit file; Federal, state and local government agencies; companies reviewing your application for employment; companies that have a current account or relationship with you, and collection agencies acting on behalf of those whom you owe; for fraud detection and prevention purposes; and companies that wish to make pre-approved offers of credit or insurance to you. To opt out of such pre-approved offers, visit

4We will require you to provide your payment information when you sign up and we will immediately charge your card $4.95. After that, we will charge the card $19.95 for each month you continue your subscription. You may cancel at any time; however, we do not provide partial month refunds.

Equifax® is a registered trademark and Equifax Complete™ Premier is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. © 2014, Equifax Inc., Atlanta, Georgia. All rights reserved.

Tax Mistakes: What To Do When Your 1099 or W-2 is Wrong

Written by Eva Rosenberg on May 28, 2013 in Tax  |   81 comments

Have you ever received an incorrect W-2 or 1099? Scary, isn’t it? You know you have to file taxes, but you’re nervous about giving incorrect information to the IRS. Then, when you call the person or company issuing your tax forms, he or she may…

tax mistakes filing taxesHave you ever received an incorrect W-2 or 1099? Scary, isn’t it? You know you have to file taxes, but you’re nervous about giving incorrect information to the IRS. Then, when you call the person or company issuing your tax forms, he or she may refuse to change the forms—or cooperate with you at all.

Tax mistakes like these are a headache, but the IRS will be looking for those numbers on your tax return.

So what do you do?

The answer is quite easy, really. Report everything exactly the way the W-2 or 1099 says it is, right or wrong. Period. That will make the IRS’s computer happy and make it less likely that you’ll receive any discrepancy notices in the mail.

Filing taxes with an incorrect W-2 or 1099

When the total income listed on all of your tax forms is lower than the income you reported, you may not have to worry about it.

But if the W-2 or 1099 incorrectly shows your total income as more than you actually made, you will need to fix the problem. After all, you don’t want to pay taxes on money you didn’t make.

So, what’s the next step? This is also easy. Deduct the difference between the amount reported on the W-2 or 1099 and the amount that should have been listed on the forms.

Quite often, when you deduct the incorrect amount, you will have to include a detailed, written explanation. This might force you to file a tax return on paper instead of online.

For example, let’s say that you received a 1099-MISC for your business that shows an income of $1,000, but it should only show $750. You would simply enter $1,000 as your income on your Schedule C. Then on page 2 of the Schedule C, deduct $250—the difference between what the tax form is reporting and the amount you actually made—with the notation “1099-MISC was overstated.” Naturally, if there is a large difference, you will need to include more detail. In that case, the notation should read, “See statement attached.”

If the income was from a rental property, follow the same process with your Schedule E, Simply deduct the erroneous amount on one of the blank expense lines and add one of the notations mentioned above.

Incorrectly reported dividends or interest

One of the most common problems that occurs with 1099s for dividends or interest is that part of the income reported belongs to another family member or friend. The report has your name listed first, so you receive the form, but not all the income belongs to you.

How does this happen? Here’s one scenario: A family member names you on a savings account that earns interest. The bank accidentally names you as the primary account holder, and you receive the 1099 for the interest income earned. This is referred to as “nominee income”—the interest income of a different individual.

To rectify the situation, report the full income amount on your Schedule B. On the next blank line, write: “Nominee income: See statement attached.” On the attached statement, list the name, address, and Social Security number of the person to whom an amount should be allocated—and list his or her share of the income.

This is a big and complex issue, and there are many types of errors that can occur. If you get a notice from the IRS, send back a letter explaining why the 1099 was wrong and provide as much proof as possible. If there is a lot of money at stake, or if you aren’t comfortable handling the situation on your own, you may want to consult a tax pro.

Eva Rosenberg, EA is the publisher of, where your tax questions are answered. She is the author of several books and ebooks, including Small Business Taxes Made Easy. Eva teaches a tax pro course at and tax courses you might enjoy at


  1. Kenny says:

    What if the 1099 is lower than what the client actually paid you. For example, the 1099 says $59,000. but you made $71,000.

    • Eva Rosenberg, your (@TaxMama) says:

      Hi Kenny,

      It’s just fine if the 1099 is lower. Who cares?
      YOU are going to be reporting the correct, higher income, right?

      So, you don’t need to worry about matching to the IRS computer.
      You only need to worry if people file 1099s under your Social Security Number
      and you don’t report as much income as the total of those 1099s.

    • Anonymous says:

      pocket the cash and keep your mouth shut kenny

  2. Todd Fields says:

    What if the Tax payer number was wrong. The company issuing the 10-99 used my social security number when they should have used the company’s EIN to report the income. I didn’t even know about the 10-99 until the IRS notified me that I understated my taxes in 2008 because they received a 10-99 saying I received income. I never received the income, it was paid to a company I assisted in setting up. Now the IRS is billing me for unpaid taxes. The issuing company will not correct the 10-99. What do I do?Type Here

    • EFX Moderator_KB says:

      Todd, perhaps this could help address your question:

      • Susan says:

        The IRS is Showing 2 different 1099 amounts for our employee (from 2012). It should be only one of those. How do we correct it?

    • Eva Rosenberg, your (@TaxMama) says:

      Hi Todd,

      That’s a really tough situation.
      But…how did the company get your Social Security Number if you were not doing work for them? Who provided it to them?


      OK, so you never got the income.
      Fine. Tell this to the IRS.
      And send a certified letter to the company that issued those 1099s to please provide copies of the cancelled checks that they paid to you – front and back.

      If you did not endorse them and deposit them to your bank account,
      who did endorse them? And to whose account were they deposited?

      BUT…if the company you did the work for received the money and reported the income, you might be able to get them to write a letter, provide their taxpayer ID number and confirm that they reported the income.

      You will need to fight this.

      No, an amended return isn’t the answer.

      You will need to gather proof to support your case.
      (it’s hard to prove a negative)
      Perhaps a copy of every deposit to your bank account(s) to show you never received this.

      You have a lot of avenues to follow to defend your case – but first you will need to gather evidence.

      Good luck.


  3. Marilyn Kitt says:

    What if the “service date” was wrong? I don’t even know what year someone did it but for the last several years the “service date” for my rental is 1990 and it wasn’t even built until 1991 and I lived in it till 1999, which is my “service date”. It won’t change my tax return now, however, I was thinking about sending the IRS a certified letter explaining of the typo and how it will affect my future tax returns. Do you know what address to send the letter to and isn’t that a good idea to change it now before it gets to be a problem in about 5 years?

    • Eva Rosenberg, your (@TaxMama) says:

      Hi Marilyn

      I truly wish I had an answer for you.
      But, what is the “service date” related to?

      Sorry, I am flummoxed.


  4. david timote says:

    What if my 1099 is 7K higher than what, I actually made. Can I just file what I have made for the year. The company that issued my 1099 refuses to fix the problem. And I don’t want to pay taxes on income that I didn’t recieve. I have all my bank statements showing what was deposited in the past year.

    I am grateful for any advice.

    • Duffy Lewis says:

      I have the same problem. I look forward to reading an expert opinion.

    • EFX Moderator_KB says:

      David, thanks for posting. You should deduct the difference between the amount reported on your 1099 and the amount that should have been listed on the forms. It is likely that when you deduct the incorrect amount, you will have to include a detailed, written explanation. This might force you to file a tax return on paper instead of online. I hope this helps.

      • Dave says:

        I received nothing for work I did But got a 1099 Misc for the entire amount I was supposed to get. What is the recourse for this.

  5. Bunko says:

    I worked full-time for 1 month in Jan 2012 (W-2) before being laid off. Was rehired as a consultant (1099-MISC) for about 4 months. I’ve just been notified of a discrepancy in my taxable wages by the IRS. Apparently, my previous employer had converted me to a full W-2. I never received an amended W-2. The taxable wages on the amended W-2 was increased by the exact amount that was on the 1099-MISC. However, no amendment to zero out the 1099-MISC was filed to reflect this change. Hence, the amount is being double-counted. I’ve been notified that I owe taxes (plus penalty and interest) on that double-counted amount.
    Would greatly appreciate your opinion/advice on this.

    • Eva Rosenberg says:

      Hi Bunko,
      First, call the IRS and explain.
      That will probably clear up the issue.
      Then, send the IRS a letter showing that the difference IS exactly that amount and just confirm the conversation you had with – IRS person – name, ID#, date and time.
      You should be fine.
      BUT, I would want to see a copy of that revised W-2. Either ask the company for a copy or ask IRS. You can also use Form 4506-T to get a copy for free.
      See if there is any difference in withholding, or how it affects your state return.

  6. DMW says:

    My son received a 1099 misc for 2013, however it had 2 other employees wages added to it. Found out later that my son was getting the checks in his name because he had a bank account and could cash the check. His 1099 says that he was self employed as a supervisor which is incorrect. His father claimed him on his taxes as a dependent and now his college is saying that he cannot get his Pell Grant until he files. We have tried contacting to company and have gotten no help in this. They have said it is not they’re problem and now my son is left paying for his supervisors taxes. I really feel that this company knowingly screwed him over and I just have no idea where to go with this. Any help would be appreciated.

    • Eva Rosenberg says:

      Dear DMW,

      I am so sorry that I didn’t see your post sooner.

      Your son tried to do something generous for his friends and instructed the company to pay him. In their records, they do show him getting all the money.

      HE needs to file 1099-MISC to his friends, showing how much he paid them.
      AND he should never do this again.

      He needs to file a tax return with a Schedule C, showing all the income on that 1099-MISC. He can deduct his payments to his friends, after he issues those 1099-MISCs to them. …

      He can still take advantage of the Form 8919 treatment, but it will be a little complicated. He’d have to end up zeroing out the profit on the Schedule C and moving the profit to Substitute for W-2 that shows only his share of the income. You will need a tax pro to help him file this all properly.

      And when he files his tax return, he cannot get his own exemption, since he is a dependent on his Dad’s return.

  7. sj says:

    What do I do if a 1099 was reported by someone I never worked for? I worked for them in 2005 &2006 . But they reported 88000.00 for last year

  8. Eva Rosenberg says:

    Dear SJ,

    They reported 88 THOUSAND dollars?!

    That’s a lot of money.

    1) Report it all on your tax return on line 21 – other income.
    2) Deduct it out on line 21 .
    3) On line 21 put a text description saying – See Statement
    4) Include a statement explaining that this is a fraudulent 1099
    and that you did not work for this company at all in 2013.

    If you became aware of this because the IRS send you a proposed tax assessment, call the IRS and tell them what happened. And that you would like to file a report with them for fraud.

    There is information about how to do that on this page

    Have the IRS request proof of the checks paid to you in 2013.

    OR…get an attorney and have the attorney request copies of the cancelled checks OR the $88,000 they claim they paid you. Now I’ll bet you wouldn’t mind paying taxes if you actually got this extra $88,000. ;~)

  9. Kathy says:

    I worked as a W2 employee from 2000 to 2011 and was due outstanding commissions when I left the company. I had to take them to court to get the matter resolved which was settled in 2013. I was issued a check for the commissions owed 30k. Unfortunately the company issued me a 1099 in 2013 for the amount as if I was a contractor and it’s affecting my tax bracket. Should they have issued a revised w2 for the year 2011 that I worked and the money was earned? What do I do if the company is out of business and I can’t get a revised w2? What do you recommend?

  10. KT says:

    What happens when my employer is wrongly including medical insurance payments into net salary? I noticed this a few weeks ago and asked about it and was told that it should be taken out as pre-tax however this was never done. What next? When I get my 1099 my federal taxable income is going to be much higher than it should be because I missed out on a pre-tax benefit.

    • Eva Rosenberg, your (@TaxMama) says:

      Dear KT,

      Sorry, this isn’t clear at all.
      Employers provide health insurance.
      If you are receiving a Form 1099, you’re not an employee – you’re in business for yourself.

      What to do?

      Get yourself a good tax professional and have him/her look over your employment contract or business contract, the arrangement for the health insurance compensation (wow – freelancers don’t get that, so you’re lucky – or unclear on the details)…and get some expert advice.

      Sorry, this is outside my scope.


  11. Pauline says:

    Thanks Eva for the useful article. However, when you said “Deduct the difference between the amount reported on the W-2 or 1099 and the amount that should have been listed on the forms”, I’m not clear in case of an overstatement on W-2, which form or line on the 1040 do we report such difference?

    I’m not a US resident, and left the US in the middle of the year, but continued to work for the same company as a foreign employee working abroad. The company reported my full year wage on W-2, instead of the half year when I was physically in the US.

    Thank you very much

  12. Kyle says:

    What if I recieved a W2 with my info and everything correct, but it’s from some random company in Florida that I’ve never worked for before lol…I live in IL…has my name and ss on it etc saying I made $100 from some real estate company.

  13. Johnharington says:

    I got a 1099 from an employer who had contracted my business but had put the checks into my name even though that money wasn’t for me but for the business.

  14. Wendy says:

    I received a W2 from an employer for 2014 the problem is that I didn’t work for the employer in 2014 and there was no carryover since I left in Sept of 2013. I received the identical W2 in 2013 when I did work for them, same pay, same deductions etc.
    I have been unsuccessful in contacting them and their website shows that they will be moving their business out of state the end of Feb of this year. What is my recourse

    • Eva Rosenberg, your (@TaxMama) says:

      Dear Wendy

      OK, that’s a pain.

      Report the full amount of the W-2 on your tax return as you normally would.
      Do not pick up the amount of the withholding.

      Then on line 21 deduct the income.
      Write SEE ATTACHED STATEMENT on that line.
      Include a statement with the tax return that explains this W-2 was issued in error. It is a duplicate of the 2013 W-2 that you received.
      That you have not worked for the company since Sept 2013 –
      just the way you explained it here.



  15. victor g. says:

    Hello, so at my last job on accident I gave them a wrong social security number. This was addressed to them but it seems that they never changed it. I have two W-2’s and I don’t know what to do. I’m just 17 years old ha

    • Eva Rosenberg, your (@TaxMama) says:

      Dear Victor,

      Well, in the future, please be more careful about giving out your Social Security number to your employers.
      You’re just starting out, so this an excellent time to make a mistake like this.

      What do you do now?

      First, ask the employer to correct this.
      If they refuse (or don’t want to bother…) do this:

      You use a Form 4852 – Substitute for W-2 with your tax return.

      In the explanation say 2 things.
      1) The SSN on the W-2 is incorrect.
      2) The employer was contacted on X date and refused to issue a corrected W-2

      That’s it!


  16. ginger says:

    I received a W-2 that does not have my wages listed nor my tax withheld but does have SS income, SS tax withheld,medicare wages and medicare tax withheld. I need to know why it is like this and how to correct it. Thank you

  17. johnson says:

    what can i do if my employer added over 10,000 dollars more then what i made on my w2 form

    • EFX Moderator says:

      Johnson, Deduct the difference between the amount reported on the W-2 or 1099 and the amount that should have been listed on the forms. Quite often, when you deduct the incorrect amount, you will have to include a detailed, written explanation. This might force you to file a tax return on paper instead of online. I hope this helps.

  18. Jay says:

    What if your social security amount is wrong and they took out took much according to the tax filing program. I called the company, they said to bad that’s what it is and will not send another one. How can I file my taxes?


  19. onya says:

    What if they made a mistake on my ssn, only one number wrong but everything correct?

    • Eva Rosenberg, your @TaxMama says:

      Hi Onya,

      If that is the case, ask them to file a correction for you – and to give you a copy.

      Should the employer refuse, go ahead and file the tax return as it is.
      Contact the Social Security administration to look up your earnings record.

      You won’t see these wages. Send them a copy of the incorrect W-2 with a letter asking them to add these wages – and showing them where the SSN was incorrect.

      Incidentally, you can also call them or go down to an office in person.

      Good luck.


  20. Jessica says:

    On my taxes I copy & pasted the EIN number in the State Id Place, thinking it was the same number. It was not. My W-2 from my employer. My taxes were accepted 1/30/15

    Questions: Will I still get my federal?
    Questions: Will I have to Amend the State Id number with the correct number?

    • Eva Rosenberg, your @TaxMama says:

      Hi Jessica

      OH well, now you have learned.

      The IRS and state generally have different employer ID numbers.
      They use different numbering systems.

      Will that affect your refund?
      Only time will tell.

      To see where you stand right now, use the IRS Where’s My Refund tool.

      It will tell you the status.

      Do NOT amend right now.

      Just wait.


  21. Kelly says:

    What if the 1099-misc was for rent paid but was marked as box 7 non employee compensation?

    • Eva Rosenberg, your @TaxMama says:

      Hi Kelly

      That’s an excellent question.

      See if they will correct it. Sigh. They might not.

      OK, now report the full amount on a Schedule C.
      Deduct the amount back out on page 2 of the Schedule C.
      On the line next to the amount, write:

      On the statement explain specifically what this was for – and what kind of rent it was. And that the income is being reported on Schedule E.

      However, if this was for equipment rent related to work you were doing for them (like a film set decorator and you get paid for providing your own inventory of supplies), this probably should be reported as self-employment income. Since you’re in the BUSINESS OF supplying such materials to studios.


  22. Anonymous says:

    What if my tax deductions on w2 are less than my pay stub records indicate was taken out? Example: w2 says federal taxes are 1006.00 my records show 2134.00

    • Eva Rosenberg, your @TaxMama says:

      That IS a problem.

      Definitely clear this up with the payroll department.
      WRITE to them with a copy of the paystub requesting this be corrected and a correction issued to you within 10 working days.

      Send it certified mail, with proof of delivery.

      If they refuse to make the correction, use Form 4852 – Substitute for W-2
      and enter all the correct information. Use this information instead of the W-2.

      File a paper tax return (to be safe) and include a copy of your paystub.

      Good luck.


  23. jake says:

    so I’m 19 years old ment a guy on Craigslist an started working for him, after about 5 weeks he told me he needed my soical security number because I was gunna get 1099, I gave him my wrong social number, been there about a year now…. just recently he told me he got a letter from the irs saying that Soical security number was wrong, I gave him my real one that day…..

  24. jake says:

    do I still need to pay for the money I made even tho he never had my accurate soical security number

  25. Celina says:

    I worked for a company and also have a business that provides services to the same company. I was laid off in November. I just received my 1099 my business and noticed that they also included my wages in box 7. I have my check stubs that clearly shows I paid social security and with holdings. I have tried in good faith to contact company and they have given me the run arounds and tekk me I have the wrong number. What can I do? Who can I contact? This is a $36000 mistake!

    • Eva Rosenberg, your @TaxMama says:

      Dear Celina,

      This is an important error.

      I recommend that you take this to a tax professional who has worked with this kind of a problem before.

      Read this article before you go.

      Print out this list of forms and MAKE SURE your tax fills out ALL the forms I list here:

      Schedule C
      Form 4852
      Form SS-8
      Form 8919

      You will need all of these to correct this 1099-MISC and to get your wages reported correctly in your Social Security record, to avoid paying your employer’s share of Social Security and Medicare charges (7.65% of your wages) AND to reduce your chances of audit – and to increase HIS audit chances.

      It will cost you more to prepare your taxes than usual.

      It’s a real shame when employers behave this way.
      These days, people are getting too smart to put up with this nonsense.

      Good luck.


  26. Rodney says:

    From Jan 01, 2014 – Mar 30, 2014 I was W2.
    From Apr 01, 2014 – Dec 31, 2014 I was 1099.

    Company issued me a 1099-MISC for the entire year’s income.
    They are refusing to amend the 1099 and will not issue the W2.

    I understand your advice of filing what I have and deducting the difference (with explanation); but when I go to deduct the difference it’s a little more complicated because the difference was W2 income… Do I then claim the W2 income somehow without a W2?

  27. Anonymous says:

    I worked for a company back in 2006 for 1 year and they all of a sudden reported a 1099 misc to the IRS stating that over $10,000 was paid to me for the year 2012. How can I fight this as income I did not receive from them?

  28. Marie says:

    I worked for a company back in 2006 for 1 year. Now they are reporting the the IRS a 1099-misc form for over $10,000 as income for me in 2012.
    How can I fight them to prove I did not work for them over 6 years — now 9 years as I just received the notice in 2015!


  29. Frank W. says:

    Dear Eva Rosenberg
    My employer, a government agency, did NOT deduct for SS or Medicare from my income for the past 3 years, so on my recent SS statement it shows “0” for those years.
    That causes me to be short for qualifying to claim SS (I’s 70 years of age!). I asked the agency why they had not deducted, and they said I had not sent them a filled-out W4 form. How can I fix this so that I can start drawing SS?
    Can I file an amended reports as a Self Employed person using Schedule SE?
    Frank W – struggling – 70 years old and almost broke!

  30. Susy says:

    They send my W2 with my second last name and my first last name as my middle name. How should I file my income taxes, with the last name I filed last year or the way they send it?

    • Eva Rosenberg, your @TaxMama says:

      Hi Susy

      Easy. Use the name on your Social Security card.

      Your name on the W-2 doesn’t matter.
      Only your SS #


  31. holly says:

    I worked for a lady for six months and she said that it was under the table now shes ask in for my SSN so she can 1099 me can she 1099 me without my SSN

  32. cityboi says:

    What happens if I put more wages earned when I filed then what’s actually on my w2’s

  33. Tina says:

    What should I do if my W2 is way less than my actually income? (less than half of what I expected) I tried to talk to my employer for the past 2 weeks, but haven’t got an answer or corrected W2. Should I call IRS and file form 48252? Thank you!

  34. Randy says:

    I received a 1099 and a w2 from the same employer. W2 is correct and 1099 shouldn’t have been filed. What is my recourse if the company will not correct?

  35. Evelyn says:

    I received a W2 from an old employer. I did not work for this company in 2014 but did ask to get an old check reissued for about 400 dollars ..i forgot to cash. Would this w2 be correct?

  36. Biset says:

    What should I do if I issued 1099 with wrong amount to my client but I didn’t submit to IRS yet.

  37. Courtney says:

    I worked for a temp agency for 4 hours last year in California in addition to my full-time job. When I received my W-2, from the temp agency, the state ID was for Colorado. When I pointed this out to the temp agency, they told me I will need to file a state return for Colorado. Is this true, even though I have never worked there or lived there? The total income was only $53, and I have already filed my Federal and California state taxes and received my refunds for both. I went to file a colorado state tax form, but it was going to cost me to file, and I would only be getting a $2 refund anyway. Is it okay to just let it be?

  38. Worried says:

    This is a great article. Thank you very much for the info.

    I have a dilemma — It appears that I received a 1099-MISC from a bank regarding an account I know nothing about. My address and last 4 digits of my social security # are correct, but it appears they may have mixed me up with another person that has my same name since I don’t know anything about the Nonemployee compensation indicated on the tax form nor am I involved with the issue/account related to this tax form. It is for a large amount(more than $40,000) and I’m scared. Any advice would be appreciated.

  39. Cassie says:

    On every paystub I recieved when I worked, it showed the deductions and tax info, including state withholding, but when I recieved my W2s,the state income tax line was blank. I had two jobs last year, so I have a state amount from my other job, but since I lack the amount of the second, my tax form says I owe. I am freaking out right now, and I need to know what I can do about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

  40. Johny says:


    My last name is Given name : A B C, Last name : D

    In W4 form, my name is B C D A.

    Looks like my last name is swapped.

    Is this an issue?

    Thank You.

  41. T G says:

    My employer switched payroll companies in December, 2014. This change caused a problem and W2’s were delayed be 4 weeks. I received mine in the mail March 2, 2015. That’s not the worst of it….it’s wrong. They doubled the amount of my income and taxes paid. I notified them and asked for a copy of my last pay stub for 2014. Basically, if you divide everything by 2, the amount is off by a few hundred dollars. The company they hired to fix the mess didn’t calculate my final year end pay correctly because they forgot to add in a $500 bonus (If I subtract 500 from my final pay stub and multiply by 2, all the amounts on the W2 match). I filed using the correct info on my check stub. Will I have to pay taxes on income I didn’t earn? I filed electronically today. If my employer amends the W2 and submits it to the IRS, will that solve any problems I may have?

  42. manny says:

    I want to know if its best for me to stay on 1099 or work with my w2… will i lose more money doing my taxes thru 1099 form

  43. Beth says:

    Hi, I have a 1099 question. Last year I was hired for a brief time by a company. I worked in an office environment for around two months. I only made $11/hr and was taxed on that money. I saved all of my pay stubs. I ended up moving out of state and now at tax time, I received a 1099 form in the mail that’s less then my grossed wages I actually earned, slightly less. Why didn’t I receive a w2? And will I have to pay double the taxes? I don’t know what to do. I contacted my old boss and his accountant said she mailed me a w2 and 1099, they gave no explanation on why I have a 1099.

  44. Yvonne says:

    Business #1 My husband landscape business
    Business #2 My embroidery business.

    We received 1099-K for being paid via credit card merchant service. When I opened the merchant account for Business #1, I was asked for my SSN for approval to open the account. Now the 1099-K is in my name/SSN, instead of Business #1=my husbands or the FEIN. What do I do with this income? Should I create a new business just for the sake of this 1099-K as well as expenses associated with this job. Then dissolve it next year? Merchant services will not change 1099-K.

  45. sue says:

    What if they made a mistake on my ssn on the w2 form, only one number wrong but everything is correct? i been working for them about 5 years now and he’s been putting the wrong ssn, i told him about it finally this yr and changed it but gave me a copy with the right ssn. i tried filing it myself but it kept saying wrong AIG or i have no pin. what should i do?

    • EFX Moderator says:

      Sue, If your employer gave you a corrected W-2, you should be able to file your tax return. If you’re having trouble, you can call the IRS or go down to an office in person. Good luck.

  46. Marco says:

    My client refuses to send me last year’s 1099 saying that the software she uses is unable to provide the correct data.
    What should I do?

  47. chris. says:

    Hello, my previous employer claimed I made $5000 on my 1099 but I only made around 2500. I’m wondering what should be done. HELP!!!!

    • EFX Moderator says:

      Chris, Deduct the difference between the amount reported on the 1099 and the amount that should have been listed on the forms. Quite often, when you deduct the incorrect amount, you will have to include a detailed, written explanation. This might force you to file a tax return on paper instead of online. Hope this helps.

  48. David says:

    I received a 1099-MISC for my S-Corp which does not reflect a December 31 payment. I prepared my federal and state withholding returns prior to receiving the 1099 based on employee compensation paid to myself with respect to the higher amount. I have requested a amended 1099 but suspect that if it is not received, the December 31 payment will be included in the 1099 I received next year since I provided additional services in 2015. Should I simply use the higher amount regardless and then deduct the 2014 payment next year with an explanation that it was included in a prior year’s return?

  49. Mark says:

    Hi, My son worked as a 1099 contractor delivering bread for a bread company. He was paid 20% of the gross sales as commission. He received his 1099, but the 1099 was for the gross product not for the actual commission he received. The company will not return his calls. What should he do?

  50. John says:

    I started a business in Nov. 2013. My business partner put in 90% of the money, and I put in 10% of the money and worked for free for a the whole year of 2014. Paychecks were cut from the business and put into a joint account with my partner. I never withdrew any of that account. All that was to go back into the business, increasing my share of the business. I left the business, however, in Dec. 2014, when I realized I was never going to have a greater part of the business or a salary or anything. The business was flourishing, and my partner has taken it over entirely. My $30,000 investment may be gone, and I’m starting over. Now I’ve been issued a 1099 that says I earned $80,000 in the business, which is a random number that does not even reflect the amount deposited in my name. What do I do? Taxes will be over $17000 on a salary that I never saw. I’m just starting 2015 in a new job that will take months to develop.

  51. JonT says:

    I got a call in February from my client saying they were not sure if they had sent me a 1099-MISC for my work in 2014. I could not locate it after a quick search of my files, so I told them ‘no’. They then sent me a 1099-MISC for $3500 (the correct amount), on the standard paper I am used to seeing — the one that 5″x8″. The ‘Corrected’ box was not checked.
    Today, I found their original 1099, also for $3500…they had, in fact, sent one to me back in January. It was on the same type of form that is usually used for W-2s — 8″x11″, with 4 copies on perforated parts. This might be why I did not recognize it as a 1099-MISC when it first arrived.
    QUESTION: If both forms were sent by the client to the IRS, will the IRS think they received duplicate forms and not double-count the $3500?
    Or will the IRS count both forms and think I got 2x$3500 = $7000 in income? If this is the case, what should be done? Should my client send in a third 1099 with the “Corrected’ box checked, showing $0, as a way to reverse their duplicate filing? Or would this just make more of a mess?

  52. Gina says:

    My dad passed away May 2014. I received a 1099-DIV from his incorporated company. My sister is stated as treasurer and other sister is POD. I am not associated with the account. The 1099 does not have the qualified dividends line (1B) filled in. And she already submitted the 1099 to the IRS after I requested a corrected copy. What do I do?

Leave a Comment

Name :

Commenting guidelines

We welcome your interest and participation on this forum, but be aware that comments will be published at Equifax's sole discretion. Please don't use this blog to submit questions or concerns about your Equifax credit report or raise customer service issues. Instead, you should contact Equifax directly for all such matters and any attempts to do so in this forum will be promptly re-directed.

Some other factors to consider when commenting:
  1. Registration and privacy. While no registration is required to visit our forum, participants wishing to post a message must register by creating an account. All personal information provided by forum members incident to registration is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
  2. All comments are anonymous. We'll delete your name, e-mail address, and any other identifying information, including details about your investments.
  3. We can't post or respond to every comment - As much as we'd like to, we can't post every comment, nor can we guarantee that we will respond to each individual message. All questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or similar customer service issues should be handled by contacting Equifax directly.
  4. Don't offer specific legal, tax or financial advice. All of the materials on this Site are for information, education, and noncommercial purposes only and this forum is not intended as a means of expressing views or ideas regarding any specific legal, tax, or investment advice. While offering general rules of thumb is both permitted and encouraged, recommending specific ideas or strategies regarding investments, taxes, and related matters is prohibited.
  5. Credit Repair. This blog is not intended as a venue for the discussion or exchange of ideas regarding credit repair or other strategies intended to assist visitors and community members improve or otherwise modify their credit histories, ratings or scores.
  6. Stay on topic. Your comment should be concise and pertain to the specific post in question.
  7. Be respectful of the community. The use of profanity, offensive language, spam, and personal attacks will not be tolerated and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation. We encourage disagreement and healthy debate, but please refrain from personal attacks on our WordPresss and contributors.
  8. Finally: Participation in this forum may be terminated by Equifax immediately and without notice for failure to comply with any guidelines or Terms of Use. As such, you should familiarize yourself with all pertinent requirements prior to submitting any response through the blog or otherwise. All opinions expressed in this forum are solely those of the individual submitting the comment, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Equifax maintains this interactive forum for education and information purposes in order to allow individuals to share their relevant knowledge and opinions with other members and visitors. We encourage you to participate in discussions about personal finance issues and other topics of interest to this community, but please read our commenting guidelines first. Equifax reserves the right to monitor postings to the forum and comments will be published at our discretion. Do you have questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or customer-service issues regarding an Equifax product? If so, please contact Equifax directly. All opinions and information expressed or shared in blog comments are solely those of the person submitting the comments, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Tax Archive