Finance Blog

Three Reasons You May Need to Amend Your Tax Return

Written by Eva Rosenberg on April 14, 2014 in Tax  |   No comments

It’s not a great idea to amend tax returns needlessly. The IRS can only audit you for three years after you file a tax return. When you amend a return, however, you start that three-year clock running again. There may be things that you can…

amending and filing 2013 taxesIt’s not a great idea to amend tax returns needlessly. The IRS can only audit you for three years after you file a tax return. When you amend a return, however, you start that three-year clock running again. There may be things that you can no longer prove or that are too complicated to explain.

However, there are some circumstances that may prompt you to amend your return. Here are three of them:

1. You didn’t include a W-2 or 1099 because it came after you filed your tax return. You can file an amended return and pay the additional taxes immediately in order to limit any interest and penalty charges you could accrue.

If you don’t amend your return, the IRS may send you a letter six to 10 months after you file. It will compute the additional taxes you owe and inform you that you can pay those taxes, plus interest. The interest is charged from the due date of the return until the date of payment.

2. You overpaid your taxes. If you filed your 2013 taxes and then found better information about deductible expenses or better proof of the basis (tax cost) of something you sold, you should definitely file an amended return. Wait until all information surfaces that might affect this tax return so you only need to amend it once.

3. You had a substantial net operating loss this year and did not include a statement saying that you wanted to waive the carryback period. Here, you have two choices. You can make that election by filing an amended return within six months of the due date of the original return. For example, if you filed in February, you may amend your return until six months after April 15. You may want to waive the carryback if you’ve paid no taxes in the past or if you don’t want to open up previous years’ returns to an audit.

On the other hand, you have the option to use the carryback and get your refund quickly. File Form 1045 by December 31 of the year in which you filed the original return. It has columns to compute the refunds for each of the two prior years. IRS Publication 536 takes you through this, step by step.

How do you file a regular amended return?

Use Form 1040X. Attach a copy of the relevant pages of the original tax return, marked “original,” and a copy of the relevant pages of the revised tax return, marked “amended.” Often, your tax software company can help you with this, and you may even be able to file it electronically.

Be sure to include any pertinent documents or calculations with the 1040X. A person, not a computer, will process the form. Think of this as a mini-audit. It will take about four to six months to get your refund, but follow up with the IRS after 60 days to make sure it has received your amended return. You can make this easier by using its new tool: Where is my amended return?

How to avoid making mistakes on your return

To avoid making mistakes on your tax return in the first place, get ready well before the return is due. Identify all of your income sources—including jobs, side businesses, securities sales, and dividends—and all of your expenses, including mortgage interest, charity, and medical expenses.

(Read more: Filing Taxes: Oops! I Made a Mistake!)

There’s no reason not to get organized all year long. There are many apps and tools to help you, so it’s easy to track your information throughout the year.

Before filing your tax return, look it over thoroughly. If you don’t understand something, ask your preparer. If you used software, ask tech support. Try not to file the tax return unless you have all of the answers you need first.

If you have run out of extensions and are still missing information, though, file the tax return and make your best guess about the missing numbers. You have up to three years to file an amended return and give the IRS and state the correct information. Doing this helps you avoid the hefty 5 percent per month late filing penalties.

Eva Rosenberg, EA is the publisher of TaxMama.com ®, where your tax questions are answered. She is the author of several books and ebooks, including Small Business Taxes Made Easy. Eva teaches a tax pro course at IRSExams.com and tax courses you might enjoy at http://www.cpelink.com/teamtaxmama.

No comments yet

Leave a Comment

Name :

Commenting guidelines

We welcome your interest and participation on this forum, but be aware that comments will be published at Equifax's sole discretion. Please don't use this blog to submit questions or concerns about your Equifax credit report or raise customer service issues. Instead, you should contact Equifax directly for all such matters and any attempts to do so in this forum will be promptly re-directed.

Some other factors to consider when commenting:
  1. Registration and privacy. While no registration is required to visit our forum, participants wishing to post a message must register by creating an account. All personal information provided by forum members incident to registration is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
  2. All comments are anonymous. We'll delete your name, e-mail address, and any other identifying information, including details about your investments.
  3. We can't post or respond to every comment - As much as we'd like to, we can't post every comment, nor can we guarantee that we will respond to each individual message. All questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or similar customer service issues should be handled by contacting Equifax directly.
  4. Don't offer specific legal, tax or financial advice. All of the materials on this Site are for information, education, and noncommercial purposes only and this forum is not intended as a means of expressing views or ideas regarding any specific legal, tax, or investment advice. While offering general rules of thumb is both permitted and encouraged, recommending specific ideas or strategies regarding investments, taxes, and related matters is prohibited.
  5. Credit Repair. This blog is not intended as a venue for the discussion or exchange of ideas regarding credit repair or other strategies intended to assist visitors and community members improve or otherwise modify their credit histories, ratings or scores.
  6. Stay on topic. Your comment should be concise and pertain to the specific post in question.
  7. Be respectful of the community. The use of profanity, offensive language, spam, and personal attacks will not be tolerated and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation. We encourage disagreement and healthy debate, but please refrain from personal attacks on our WordPresss and contributors.
  8. Finally: Participation in this forum may be terminated by Equifax immediately and without notice for failure to comply with any guidelines or Terms of Use. As such, you should familiarize yourself with all pertinent requirements prior to submitting any response through the blog or otherwise. All opinions expressed in this forum are solely those of the individual submitting the comment, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Equifax maintains this interactive forum for education and information purposes in order to allow individuals to share their relevant knowledge and opinions with other members and visitors. We encourage you to participate in discussions about personal finance issues and other topics of interest to this community, but please read our commenting guidelines first. Equifax reserves the right to monitor postings to the forum and comments will be published at our discretion. Do you have questions or comments about your Equifax credit report or customer-service issues regarding an Equifax product? If so, please contact Equifax directly. All opinions and information expressed or shared in blog comments are solely those of the person submitting the comments, and don't necessarily represent the views of Equifax or its management.

Tax Archive

Stay Informed Sign up for our FREE Equifax email Newsletter